On this page all the product information is managed, and the product is assigned to the relevant categories.
To go to this page go to Products, in the left menu.
The default page is the product list page of all published products:
- Product searching/filtering: above the product list, products can be filtered by a date range, and product type. A soft-search textbox on the top right is also available to search by text, this will search the product title.
- Product Ordering: Click any of the heading above the product listing to sort the products by name, SKU, price, date, etc.
- Add new product: To add a new product, click the “add product” button next to the “Products” title.
To edit a product, click on the product name and the edit screen for the product will open up. (This is similar to the “Add Product screen):
- Product title, permalink: To edit the product title edit the text in the large text box near the top of the screen. Below this is the permalink, which is the URL (web address) of the product, this can be edited if necessary (usually for SEO purposes) however be careful as the previous address will now no longer be available.
- Product description: The main product description is added in the main text area. Depending on the website layout, there may also be additional text areas for other information on the product. Below the product data tab, there is also usually a text area for the product short description.
- Product data: The panel below the product description houses most of the important product data
- Product types: next to “product data” there is a drop-down with “simple product” showing. This is where the product type is selected. The following product types can be chosen: simple product, grouped product, (can only be purchased as a group with other products) external/affiliate product, (A product hosted on another website that can have an affiliate fee paid) and Variable product (A product that can have variations of size, colour, price)
- Product sub-types: A product can also have sub-types of virtual (eg. a subscription code), or downloadable (Which opens up a downloadable file eg. a stock photo)
- General: this left tab includes the unique product SKU (stock keeping unit), and the various prices. (Please note that if the product is a variation, the variable prices will override this price) The sale price is the price displayed when the product is set to be on sale. Tax information is below the prices.
- Inventory: This tab, shows the stock information for the product. Stock quantity can be added here, as well as stock status and allowing backorders. (Again the variable product stock values can override this stock section)
- Shipping: This tab contains the information on the product shipping. If weight and product dimensions are required for calculating the shipping cost, then these fields are important. Otherwise they can be left blank.
- Linked products: These are the products displayed alongside the product, either on the product detail page (Cross-sells), or on the cart page. (Upsells)
- Attributes: This is only used if the product is a variable product. It allows you to create the possible variations that a product may have in order to add prices and stock for a particular variation.
- Attributes first need to be added in the attributes section (Products > Attributes) Once added you need to select an attribute using the dropdown menu, and click “add”.
- Once all the attributes are added, select whether they should be visible on the front-end, and if they should be used for variations. (Most of the time they are both)
- Then click “Save attributes” to link the attributes. An important step!
- Variations: Once attributes have been added, you can now add in the individual information for each product variation, such as the prices, shipping dimensions, and downloadable product information.
(For more information on variable products, please see the WooCommerce website here: https://docs.woothemes.com/document/variable-product/ )
- Advanced: here a purchase note can be added, (Note added onto the order) menu order can be added, (order of the product in the listing page) and the ability to enable/disable reviews.
- Publish panel: In this panel the publish settings can be updated. A product can be set to only be visible in the future.
- Product categories: Here the product can be assigned to one or more pre-defined categories. (Categories are added in the Products > Categories section)
- Product tags: tags are words that can identify a product, and provide another method of navigating to products. (Not all websites have this enabled however)
- Featured image: This is generally the main product image. WordPress will resize the image into the various sizes required, however it is generally a good idea to check what size the image should be initially. It is generally a good idea to load up a bigger image, which is then automatically sized down into the thumbnail images.
- Product gallery: These are additional images of the products which are displayed on the product detail page as a gallery.