The WordPress SEO by Yoast Plugin, is in our opinion the best plugin for handling search engine optimisation support for your WordPress website. We have detailed below some of the key areas in which it offers support:
Updating the page title, keywords and description
- Login to your website backend
- Go to the Pages section, and edit the page which you would like to update. (For the homepage, look for the homepage in the pages or navigate to SEO > Titles > Homepage)
- Scroll down to the WordPress SEO by Yoast section (If you do not see this section, click “Display options” top right of the page, and make sure it is selected)
- Focus keyword – this is where you add the keywords that you have researched are most appropriate to the page. It is recommended to not add more than 3 here.
- SEO Title – This is the title of the page, and will be the link title in your search engine ranking
- Meta Description – this will be the description under the title in your search engine listing
- Page Analysis tab – this shows a checklist of items to improve on the page
- Click “Publish” to save your changes
Using Website XML Sitemaps
XML sitemaps provide a direct link for search engines to your website pages, which means that when they are updated, Google is informed quicker than a standard website crawl.
- To setup your sitemaps go to SEO > Sitemaps
- Select the post types and taxonomies to display in the sitemap
- Click “Save Changes”
- You can then click the “XML Sitemap” button at the top of the page, and add these to your Google Webmaster Tools account.